Monday, November 10, 2008

The Gospel according to Radiohead

As I sit here writing, I am listening to one of my favorite songs from Radiohead. The song is called "Street Spirit (Fade Out)" and every time I hear it I am so completely captivated by the music, lyrics and emotion of the song, that all I can do is close my eyes and soak in the experience. The lyrics are melancholy, mournful and morose and the instrumentation is haunting. It makes me think of other songs and artists who reach deep into the human spirit. People like Bob Dylan, John Coltrane, Beethoven and many others throughout history learned to communicate what was happening in their spirits in such a way that the listener can't help but be sucked into the present confusion or elation of the composer. Emotion, fear, loss, peace and joy can be experienced in a musical mural that bypasses our thought processes and permeates deep into our souls.

I used to dismiss the idea that all music was accompanied by spiritual energy, but I can't take that stance with any conviction anymore. I do believe that some music is composed under the influence of evil, holy or animistic spiritual forces and that the artist is a conduit for these powers. I have experienced all of the above and I find that I would much rather submit myself to Godly influence in music based on my understanding of the power of notes, rhythm, melody and lyrics. I can experience primal emotions through the music of those who take a neutral, animistic approach to songwriting with little negative effect or loss of conscience. However, I find that music that is inspired by anger, confusion or hate often creates what I call, "a dirty spirit" in me.

How I pray that Jesus followers would learn to let the Holy Spirit permeate their music to the point that the listener cannot help but embrace the truth, love and power of the Gospel. This IS the music of Heaven, the song of the redeemed...really. Radiohead gets it (sort of), why wouldn't God raise up musicians who are so compelled and surrendered to this great gospel that they compel others to embrace the cross and all that Christ is.

God, raise up a new generation of hymnists, songwriters and composers that will cancel the enemy's hold on the music of today and create a new breed of holy minstrels for Your glory!

jeremiah

No comments:

Post a Comment