Monday, January 12, 2009

New vision and comfort...

...These things don't seem to fit together. They don't take long strolls on the beach sipping mimosas and talking about the good old days. They are not like peas and carrots. They would not find each other on eHarmony. They are not even in the same zip code. They are like Clark Kent and Superman, as soon as one appears you start asking where the other one went.

At this moment, I am wondering where the comfort went.

Doubt, fear and uncertainty are certainly a certainty when you take on new vision, for certain, but there is something I am discovering as I embrace the discomfort. When the pressure of achieving this new vision becomes overwhelming to the point that I am breathing through a brown paper bag to avoid hyperventilation, I remind myself that it is not my job to sustain this work. It was given by Him and therefore He will sustain it (and me) when it seems insurmountable. Suddenly, I experience comfort in the presence of this new vision. They are compatible, but only when Christ is in the center of the equation.

All of us on staff at Freedom Valley are stretching ourselves beyond what seems possible, Vision '09 is proof of that. However, we are asking for things that are beyond what seems possible. It's a lot like when my 4 year old son Samuel tries to help me with something I am working on. More often than not he ends up undoing what I have done as quick as I have done it. I feel a lot like Samuel right now.

God help us not to rip this thing out of your hands, but allow us to persevere in faith. If we wait on Him we might be involved in the next upper room experience to visit the earth. I choose to wait upon the Lord...but I am waiting with one hand on the plow and the other raised towards heaven.

jeremiah

1 comment: