Sunday, January 18, 2009

Bring the booze...

Lifestyle evangelism is nothing new. In fact, it is a bit of a buzz word in a lot of Christian circles right now. Put succinctly, it is the ability to lead people to Jesus with every aspect of your life and not just your words. I thought I understood this concept, until today.

I was reading a story from the gospels about Jesus changing the water into wine at the wedding in Cana and reflecting on my own experiences as a pastor at weddings I have officiated. Here's the thing that struck me. Jesus brought the booze...

Don't get mad at me, that was meant to shock you. Did it work? Think about it. Jesus obviously was not promoting evil in any way, but He was not concerned about propriety or the appearance of evil, which is often a misused idea anyway. You see, the people at this wedding had been drinking for days by the time Jesus arrived. I think its safe to say that some of them were plastered. But Jesus embraced the humanity of those around Him so that He could get the chance to move in close and show them real love.

Many of our neighbors and friends are daily beaten by the failures in their own minds and what happens when they come in to church? They get a heaping helping of guilt and condemnation. Now, I am not saying that I condone ridiculous behavior and debauchery, but I am saying that we can't be afraid to embrace it openly in the people we minister to, day in and day out, in the hopes that they will see Someone in us that will change their lives for the good.

Here's the test. Do you run away from the chance to meet people that do not share your faith to begin with? Do you avoid people of different faiths than you? Does someone's sexual orientation or behavior make you think twice about getting to know them? Do you want people to meet God on your terms or are you willing to break a sabbath rule to reach out to someone who may never have the chance to see God in you again?

1 comment:

  1. Jeremiah,
    I am so glad you wrote this. At work I am trying to get to know one of my co-workers a little better who has a different sexual orientation. I am praying that God will use me as a tool in His hands to show this person that God loves them. It is not up to me to be their judge and condemn them for their lifestyle choice (especially since God loved me in the midst of my sin), although it clearly goes against what God teaches. This person has already felt heavy condemnation from others. God is the only one who can judge in the end. I feel compelled to reach out to this person in the same way that God reached out to me...with compassion. I believe God is far better and more able to convict a person of sin than I can. Coming from me it would only be felt as more condemnation, which they don't need. Please pray for me that I am an able tool in God's hands.

    ReplyDelete