Tuesday, December 15, 2009

How to tick someone off... Luke 19:5-7


So I was reading the story of Zacchaeus today and the last portion of the story really struck a chord with me. Maybe it will with you, too...

Luke 19:5-7
5 When Jesus came by, he looked up at Zacchaeus and called him by name. “Zacchaeus!” he said. “Quick, come down! I must be a guest in your home today.”

6 Zacchaeus quickly climbed down and took Jesus to his house in great excitement and joy. 7 But the people were displeased. “He has gone to be the guest of a notorious sinner,” they grumbled.

What stuck out to me is the fact that what caused Zacchaeus great joy caused a lot of other people to complain. The reason it grabs me is that I realized today that I have a hard time doing anything that could tick someone off because I don't want people to dislike me.

The second thing that stuck out to me goes a little deeper with that vein of thought. You see, it is important to realize that if you're gonna tick people off, you wanna make sure that you are messing with the right people. Jesus went out of His way to bring joy to people who were hurting, like Zacchaeus. He also didn't mince words with people that used religion to control others or gain clout.

God help me to be the kind of person who brings great joy to the Zacchaeus's of the world. Help me to not be afraid of the crowd of complainers that will never be happy anyway. You are my source and the reason I exist. I want to please You!

Thanks!
jeremiah

1 comment:

  1. I have to pray about this one. I have no problem with ticking people off. It may sound a little cavlier but i dont realy care what people think of me. There is no fight as far as I am concerned, therefore, messing with the right people is a concept that dosnt really register with me.

    ReplyDelete